Do you want one to two weeks full of safari fun for your classroom all based on 2nd grade common core math and ELA standards? This packet is filled with craftivities, whole and small group activities, games, a research paper and much more. All templates for craftivities are included along with links to all stories if you do not own the book.
During this 2 week unit, your second graders will complete various safari themed activities that cover different subject areas. Students will practice math skills and English language arts skills. These activities are a great way to motivate students as they all follow a fun theme!
2nd Grade Common Core Activities Included:
- Binocular craft instructions
- Safari boy/girl templates to hang with binoculars
- Moral of story crocodile craftivity to go with the fable The Monkey and The Crocodile (link included to fable)
- Compare/contrast giraffe craftivity to go with the book “Giraffes Can’t Dance” and “Everyone needs a friend” (links included to both) Venn Diagram headers included.
- Two printable stories for students to read and compare (Venn Diagram and a lion craftivity included)
- Set of safari game cards to play three different games, a game mat for an additional game, and assessment sheets that cover addition and subtraction (one version up to 9 and one version up to 20)
- Prefix/suffix cards to learn meaning and then a board game for when students have mastered the meanings.
- Printable story (link online included) for students to read and highlight adjectives. Elephant adjective craftivity with advanced story writing option. Assessment sheet included.
- Plural snakes craftivity with story about a snake and recording page. Plural concentration game.
- Bonus animal research project
This is aligned to the 2nd grade common core state standards, but the activities could be used with students in other grade levels as well.
Second Grade Standards Covered:
- 2.L.1b – Form and use frequently occurring irregular plural nouns (e.g., feet, children, teeth, mice, fish).
- 2.L.1e – Use adjectives and adverbs, and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.
- 2.RF.3d – Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- 2.OA.2 – Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.
- 2.RI.9. – Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.
- 2.RL.2 – Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
Download the preview for more pictures of the 2nd Grade Common Core Activities included and visit my blog firstname.lastname@example.org for even more.